TOP 6 HERBS FOR STRESS & ANXIETY
Stress and anxiety can take a toll on the body in many different ways. It can affect every system of your body.
How Stress Affects the Body Systems
- Brain: concentration, anxiety, depression, mood, brain fog
- Cardiovascular: high cholesterol, blood pressure, heart attack
- Joints & Muscles: inflammation, tension, aches and pains
- Immune System: decreased function, defenses, illness, low recovery
- Skin & Hair: hair loss, dull, brittle nails, dry skin, acne, delayed tissue
- Gut: diarrhea, constipation, bloating, pain, nutrient absorption
- Reproductive System: decreases hormones, libido, increases PMS
In order to keep these at bay, several herbs can be used to help balance the body.
Consider the following herbs for a tea infusion.
Butterfly Pea Flower – helps ease anxiety, boost energy and lessen “butterflies in the stomach”.
St John’s Wort – supports the nervous system and respiratory system, immunity, eases anxiety, depression, tension, menopausal transition and pairs well with chamomile, lemon balm, passionflower, hops, valerian, mullein.
Passionflower – calming, a mild sedative, soothes the nervous system, balances blood pressure, focus, attention.
Skullcap – supports the nervous system, eases anger and “flying off the handle”.
Ashwagandha Root – adaptogen that helps adapt to and combat stress, anti-inflammatory, immune system (prevent white blood cell depletion), nervous system, energy, mild sedative, sleep aid, reproductive tonic (sexual drive, vitality, and libido), thyroid stimulant, rich in iron.
Eleuthero Root – a calming adaptogen that helps adapt to and combat stress, increases energy and stamina, helps with fatigue, insomnia, and anxiety, modulates blood sugar, and improves cognitive function.
Cinnamon – an anti-inflammatory, warming, added for taste and blood glucose management.
2 PARTS Butterfly Pea Flower
2 PARTS St John’s Wort
1 PART Passionflower & Skullcap
½ PART Ashwagandha Root & Eleuthero Root
- Measure each part using ½ teaspoon, 1 tablespoon or 1 cup depending on the size needed.
- Gently mix the herbs together in a bowl and store in a glass jar.
- Brew one cup of tea by measuring 1 teaspoon of herb per 8 ounces of boiling water.
- Place the herbs in a tea bag or tea infuser, and cover with boiling water.
- Cover and let steep for 10-15 minutes, strain, and enjoy 3-4 cups per day while encouraging your stress to melt away. 😊
*Each herb can be used one at a time to familiarize yourself and body to herbal constituents if needed. Everyone is different and responds differently to each herb. The recommended dosage is 2-4 cups of tea per day.